Wednesday 12 April 2023

 Finished welding, grinding keel, and bulb fitted


Today the keel plate was finished welded and ground to shape and the one side of the bulb was flattened fitted and drilled, BTW keel plate weight 70kg bulb weight each half 50kg+ total bulb 100kg+ so i try to move them as little as possible


 I used a hand plane to flatten the bulb, (I do not own a power plane), which took some time but was not as hard as I thought, what was more of a problem was the bulb sliding in the wooden cradle, lead is slippery!




 then I used the cradles on a suitably thick spacer to raise the bulb into position with wedges under the keel plate and located it in position 


and with my shop made vertical drill guide I drilled through the plate into the lead, I used dowels to keep everything aligned as other holes were drilled,  then I put on nuts and threaded rod to hold it in position, hanging under the plate, the other bulb is now on the plate ready for flattening in the morning

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Deck glassing in progress